Saturday, April 11, 2015

At the junction between the 5th and the 6th, and last, cycle

Thursday night I was called because my lab tests that day had been low - very very low. With a hemoglobin just over 5 (normally anything 8 or lower gets transfused) i was told to return to Gainesville at 8:45 Friday morning for type and cross (blood testing) and transfusion of Red blood cells. It took all day but 2 units of transfusion later my blood pressure was higher (in this case, a good thing) and I felt better than I had for weeks. Following a trip to Rhode Island for a wedding March 21 I came down with a virus and had two weeks of upper respiratory tract infection and diarrhea. I got pretty dehydrated, which probably artificially elevated my blood counts at weekly testing. I had had trouble standing up without getting dizzy for most of that time. Things improved when i was again able to eat real meals, and even more as I slowly rehydrated. Wednesday I was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection and started on antibiotics. Then Friday i got transfused. Now I feel better than I have for weeks. None the less I spent most of the day dozing in PJs in front of the TV. Tomorrow I will try to be more active. Monday I start the last 3 week cycle of chemo - Monday is the day i get two drugs (carboplatin and taxol). AFter that I will get taxol alone for the next 2 mondays - assuming i do not have blood counts that are low enough to require delaying a week or more of chemo, I will finish my chemo the beginning of May. I am eager to get to that point and then begin improving again. Louisa

No comments:

Post a Comment